Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 6- April 15 Priene, Miletus, Didyma

Sorry I didn't add this the past two nights- I got too caught up chatting with my mama on Skype :) yesterday still feels like a blur- but I know that we had a crazy busy day! We started our morning by exploring a city called Priene (an ancient city of partly reconstructed ruins per say) which was in a big forest! It almost felt like Lutsen :) we had a little worship service there to (since it was Sunday) after exploring there, we drove to Miletus which had a huge theater and a lot of unexcavated spots. We spent some time at the museum there- it was a fairly small one but still had some really interesting info! After that we had a fairly long drive to Didyma. And there we got to see Apollos temple! So amazing :) there were two of the main pillars that had stayed standing since they'd been built! Just proves the amazing level of architectural knowledge they had. This is the site where the famous Medusa head that you sometimes see in history books comes from. We spent the night in the same hotel from the night before which was really really nice :) the rain stopped in the early morning do we had a full day to enjoy the sunshine, and after dinner that night a few of the other girls and I dunked in the aegean sea :) such an amazing experience, but I was super dirty afterwards- which is why I'm so thankful we have good showers in our rooms! Grandpa and I walked around outside on the pier after dinner for a while, which was amazing! It was so gorgeous at night with the huge hotel all lit up :) good way to end our night!
Picture 1- pine trees in Priene
Picture 2- Column at Didyma
Picture 3- Sunset at dinner in the KoruMar
Picture 4- emperor grandpa at the museum in Miletus
Picture 5- I swam on that beach behind that elevator tower!
Picture 6- Temple ruins in priene
Picture 7- more forest
Picture 8- My home! My usual setup in the bus
Picture 9- Athena's temple in Ephesus (we visited it the night before the rest of Ephesus)
Picture 10- our hotel all lit up at night!
Picture 11- The room
Picture 12- The view from priene
Picture 13- stele at Miletus museum
Picture 14- columns at priene
Priene
Priene
View from room- Korumar
Korumar in Kusadesi
column at Didyma
View from Priene
Dinner sunset
Emperor Grandpa at Miletus museum
temple Priene
Gladiator stele at Miletus museum

1 comment: