Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 12

(The internet didn't really work last night- such a bummer but not too bad because I know I'll see everyone pretty soon!)

 We travelled to Philippi and Thessaloniki today (which was yesterday- I'm starting to get into a rhythm of writing each post a day late). We woke up at like four am to a big crash and a car alarm. I thought it was a lightning strike and grandpa thought it was a car bomb :) But most likely it was just a crash. I got to watch the sun rise over Kavala and it was gorgeous! But what isn't out here? I've been way more tired lately though- mornings are pretty rough. But the sunrises sure help! So do hot showers :)

 I've been thinking lately about coming home- and how nice it'll be to see family and friends again, but at the same time I don't know how I'll handle not being here. Like how do you transition from waking up at six every morning to a sunrise over the Aegean sea and then exploring ancient cities all day long with a huge group of incredible adults and teens each with different stories and personalities than people back home. And staying in a brand new city and hotel every night- showering in the funniest bathrooms and sleeping under some pretty weird blankets :) and seeing mountains and Cyprus or olive or orange or lemon or kiwi trees everywhere! I really have fallen in love with everything over here- especially Turkey :) But being here has really made me realize how good I have it at home and how much I'm loved by all the amazing friends I'm surrounded by- even if I'll miss the group here.

Philippi was great- 70 square acres in all! We got to stand in the agora where Paul healed the demon-possessed girl- which was incredible! We also saw 'lydia's church' which was beautiful :) The weather out there was absolutely perfect, really warm but just enough breeze to keep it cool. After Philippi we drove for about an hour to Thessaloniki where we walked around the modern city and saw a Greek orthodox church- it was an interesting experience, that's for sure.

We also walked down the touristy street and encountered wanna be pickpocketers and some little kids begging. It was sad to ignore them or say no but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do! Lunch was delicious as always and we got into our hotel nice and early :) it was lovely! Crazy to think I'll be home in less than a week
lunch treats with Grandpa
horses for my sister Lily to enjoy
poppy fields!
amazing wildflowers
delicious dinner!
dome collapsed while being built-church was never used
sunrise over Thessaloniki
story time with Voula in Philippi
Lydia's baptistery
my best friend on the trip...next to Grandpa of course
Philippi
toilet paper vending machine
walls of Thessaloniki...with Grandpa
loving my breads!
love all the flowers here
walls of old city of Thessaloniki
Good Morning!  as we left Kavala
our group
baptistery in Lydia's church
Add caption
inside Lydia's baptistery

No comments:

Post a Comment